What is COBRA?
The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) requires employers to extend their group health benefits to employees (and their families) who lose health benefits due to specific qualifying events.
How does it benefit me?
- Allows you to continue your insurance coverage for you and your dependents if you are at risk of losing your health benefits.
- You have the option to accept or decline coverage and select which dependents to cover.
- You can pick and choose the benefits you want to continue.
- Any deductible you met prior in the year will be credited to your COBRA coverage.
What else do I need to know?
- You are responsible for paying your COBRA premiums.
- You can elect to drop dependents from COBRA coverage, but you cannot add new dependents until open enrollment (when your former employer’s benefits renew).
- You will need to find other insurance coverage once your COBRA eligibility ends.